- Community Development Services
Save energy this winter by adjusting your thermostat down a degree or two. For each degree you lower your heat, you can save 3 percent or more on heating costs.
I want to...
- Purchase a discounted smart irrigation controller
- Schedule a reduced cost Home Energy Squad visit
- Apply for a city rebate for my energy efficient furnace/air conditioner/water heater, air sealing, insulation project
- Volunteer to adopt a city park
- Explore installing solar panels on my house
- Raise backyard chickens
- Sign up for a plot at the community garden
- Join the City's Sustainability Commission
- Sign up for the Sustainability e-newsletter
- Learn more about energy efficiency rebates and tax credits in the Inflation Reduction Act
Sustainable Coon Rapids
Coon Rapids works to create an ecologically, socially, and economically sustainable city for everyone to enjoy.
- We support long-term ecological balance and the preservation and restoration of natural resources.
- We want our current residents to thrive and we want to ensure future generations of residents have the same ability to thrive.
- We strive to be responsible stewards of the city’s economic resources by finding efficient ways to do our work.
Learn more about our sustainability initiatives, our resident advisory commission, and what steps you can take to help us advance this work by exploring the pages in the menu to the left. Have questions about Sustainability in the city? Email the Sustainability Planner.
Planning for Sustainability
Coon Rapids uses a variety of planning documents to guide its sustainability work.
- The City's Comprehensive Plan includes sustainability-related goals and policies.
- The Parks, Trails, and Open Space System Plan Update outlines how the City wants to manage its natural resources and active transportation system.
- Coon Rapids is currently creating an Energy Action Plan that will be completed in Fall 2022.
B3 Energy Use Reporting
Coon Rapids reports public building energy consumption data as part of the B3 Benchmarking program which helps the City monitor and improve energy consumption at our facilities. Visit the B3 website to learn more about the initiative and view Coon Rapids' energy data here.
Greenhouse Gas Inventory
The Metropolitan Council has a Greenhouse Gas Inventory tool for all communities in the Twin Cities metro area. Visit the inventory online to learn more about what sectors emit greenhouse gases in Coon Rapids and how we compare to our neighbor cities.
Coon Rapids compiles an annual scorecard of City sustainability metrics to help capture how we are performing in the areas of energy, transportation, natural resources, and waste.
Minnesota GreenStep Cities is a voluntary challenge, assistance, and recognition program to help cities achieve their sustainability and quality-of-life goals. As one of over 100 participating cities, the City of Coon Rapids is helping to lead the way in sustainability across the State of Minnesota.
- March, 2014 - Coon Rapids reaches Step 1
- June, 2015 - Coon Rapids reaches Step 2
- June, 2021 - Coon Rapids reaches Step 3
- June, 2022 - Coon Rapids reaches Steps 4 and 5
These achievements recognize Coon Rapids' continued focus on cost savings, energy use reduction and encouragement of civic innovation. The City has undertaken sustainability programs including efficient lighting and street signals, sustainable mobility options, urban forestry programs, stormwater management and efficient city growth.
View Coon Rapids' GreenStep City Resolution.
View Coon Rapids' most recent GreenStep City Assessment.
Tree City USA
Coon Rapids has been recognized as a Tree City for 42 years. Recognition requires meeting four overarching standards:
- Maintaining a tree board or department
- Having a community tree ordinance
- Spending at least $2 per capita on urban forestry
- Celebrating Arbor Day
Learn more about Coon Rapids Forestry Department and annual Arbor Day Tree Sale.
Coon Rapids has been recognized as a SolSmart Silver community for implementing best practices to make it easier for residents and businesses to install and access solar energy.
Learn more about renewable energy in Coon Rapids on our solar energy resource page.
There are a variety of sustainability-related events in Coon Rapids throughout the year. Learn more at the links below.
- June 12, 2022: Bike Rodeo
- November 5, 2022: Anoka County Fix-It Clinic
- Summer - Fall: Farmer's Market
- April, 2023: Arbor Day Tree Sale