Property Appraisal and the "Quintile Review"
State law requires assessors to physically visit each property within their jurisdiction once every five years. There are approximately 22,000 residential properties in Coon Rapids. During the review period each year, the City appraisers visit and review approximately one fifth of the properties (about 4,400).
City staff will be working in the designated areas (as noted in the 2021 Quintile Review Map) from summer to early fall. Thank you in advance for your cooperation. If you have any questions, you may contact the Assessing Department at 763-767-6446
Quintile Review Map
The 2021 residential quintile review areas are highlighted on the 2021 Quintile Review Map (PDF). The Quintile Review is part of the process to determine January 2, 2020 property values. These are the values that will be used to assess property taxes payable in 2022.
City staff will be working in the designated areas beginning July and continue through September.
What to expect if your home is in the review area:
- Homeowners will receive a postcard prior to exterior inspections being performed in their neighborhood.
- For exterior inspections, city staff will walk around the outside of your home and verify the exterior characteristics.
- If city staff determine that an interior inspection is necessary, a letter will be sent to the property owner requesting that they call the Assessor’s office to schedule an appointment. As part of our policy during the COVID-19 pandemic, we would like to partner with you to ensure everyone’s safety and comfort during our visit to your home. Instructions will be provided when scheduling an appointment to ensure appropriate COVID-19 safety protocols. The staff person will typically be inside your home for 5 to 10 minutes to verify the interior characteristics of each floor including the basement.
- City staff review characteristics of the property that affect market value such as age, size, quality of construction, basement finish, etc.
- City staff will be wearing an official City of Coon Rapids identification badge to identify themselves.