What is Solar Energy?
Solar energy harnesses the sun’s energy to generate electricity. It is an abundant and important renewable energy source that can be captured and used in several ways. Installing a solar energy system on your home or business can help to reduce your energy bills and reduce your environmental footprint. The city is ready to help residents and businesses who wish to get started with solar energy.
See our Solar FAQ below to learn more about the options, programs, and companies available. Email the Sustainability Planner to with any additional questions you might have!
What renewable energy options are available?
Read more to learn about the variety of options available to consumers.
Will solar panels work on my property?
- Type your address into Google Project Sunroof for an estimate of suitability and savings. You can also use the University of Minnesota’s Solar Suitability Map.
How can I find a solar business?
- Use the Clean Energy Project Builder to find energy businesses including solar installers, community solar garden developers, energy auditors and more.
- Before you contact a business, review the state’s solar questions and consumer tips.
What city permits will I need to install a solar energy system?
- To apply for a building permit for solar panels, please complete this PDF application and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is a community solar garden and how can I find one?
- Learn more about community solar gardens on the Clean Energy Resource Team’s website here.
- If you are an Xcel Energy subscriber, view their list of solar garden operators here. View Minnesota solar gardens under “Step 2: Contacting a Solar Garden Operator.
- In Minnesota, you must live in the county or an adjacent county to subscribe to a community solar garden.
- If you are a Connexus Energy subscriber, learn more about their SolarWise program here.
Where can I learn more about clean energy?
- The Clean Energy Resource Teams have excellent information available about all types of clean energy and energy efficiency.
What financial assistance is available for energy efficiency?
- The Center for Energy and Environment offers loan programs to help home owners improve efficiency.