Absentee Voting Information
If you're unable to vote on Election Day then you may want to vote by absentee ballot.
Anyone who wishes to vote may do so by absentee ballot beginning 46 days before Election Day.
How to Request a Ballot
Minnesota voters can now request an absentee ballot online through the Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State. The service allows voters to apply for an absentee ballot quickly and easily without the need to print, scan forms and return by mail, fax or email.
When absentee voting at City Hall, no campaigning is allowed in the building or within 100 feet of the building. This includes campaign buttons, signs or clothing. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.
Absentee Ballots for Military and Overseas Voters
Persons living abroad or who are in the military can go to the Minnesota Votes website to obtain more absentee ballot information.
Absentee Ballots for Regular Voters
Absentee voters can cast their absentee ballot in two ways:
1. Vote in person at Coon Rapids City Hall
During regular hours:
- Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
During the extended hours listed:
- Saturday prior to Election Day: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Monday prior to Election Day: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
2. Absentee Voting by Mail
All absentee voters must first complete an absentee ballot request form/application.
Do this in one of two ways:
1) Visit mnvotes.org to fill out the online ballot request form/application.
2) OR Print the paper application form online (PDF) and complete it by hand, or call the Anoka County Elections office at 763-324-1300 to have an application sent to you by mail. Return your application as early as possible by any of the following methods:
- Mail: Anoka County Elections, 2100 3rd Avenue, Suite W130, Anoka, MN 55303
- Fax: 763-324-1160
- Email: send a scanned image of your application to the Anoka County Elections Office
An absentee ballot will be mailed to you within two business days. The absentee ballot will contain voting instructions and a return envelope. Be sure to follow the absentee instructions very carefully and return the ballot as soon as possible.
Can I vote by absentee ballot if I'm not a registered voter?
If you are not a registered voter, that's not a problem. When you apply for an absentee ballot you will be provided with the required voter registration materials.
How do I return my absentee ballot?
Once you receive your ballot, read and follow the instructions carefully. Return your ballot by Election Day to the address on the return envelope.
You have three options:
- Send your ballot so it arrives by Election Day using U.S. mail or a package delivery service.
- Deliver it in person by 3 p.m. on Election Day to Coon Rapids City Hall or Anoka County Elections located at 2100 3rd Ave, Suite C130 in Anoka, MN.
- Ask someone to deliver your ballot for you by 3 p.m. on Election Day. This person cannot deliver more than three ballots.
Can I return my absentee ballot to a polling place on Election Day?
No. Absentee ballots may NOT be delivered to your polling place on Election Day.
Can I place my absentee ballot directly into a ballot counter at City Hall?
All eligible voters can vote at City Hall seven days prior to Election day and place their ballots directly into a ballot counter. Votes will be counted immediately, but results will not be reported until the polls close on Election Day.
Direct balloting will be available seven days before Election Day.
Please note, high turnout is expected at City Hall during direct balloting. We will do our best to get voters through the line as quickly and efficiently as possible. Thanks in advance for your patience and for voting in Coon Rapids!